Simple Homemade Pita Chips are crispy, fragrant, and bursting with Middle Eastern flavors, these addictive chips are the perfect blend of simplicity and sophistication. This recipe is all you will need to make pita chips at home and you can season them any way you wish. They are wonderful served alongside your favorite dips and spreads.
Using the base pita chips recipe, you can season them with many types of toppings. While my favorite is a Lebanese Za'atar seasoning, you can easily substitute the topping for more seasonal seasonings like cinnamon sugar or pumpkin spice!
They are great to have on hand because we serve many types of dips to family and company. I just love to snack on these. They are highly addictive! However, I always serve these with hummus or my eggplant dip. You can also turn these into wonderful croutons and throw them into a salad or soup.
Ingredients for Homemade Pita Chips
The base ingredients for chips are simple:
- 2-3 store-bought, farmer's market-bought, or homemade pita bread that has pockets
- Olive oil
- Kosher Salt
See the recipe card for quantities.
How To Make Simple Homemade Pita Chips Recipe
Split your pita bread in half and then cut into quarters. Spread on a baking pan.
Brush your pita bread with olive oil on both sides.
Add your toppings.
Place into oven at 425℉ and bake until crispy.
Hint: It's best not to use parchment paper or foil on your baking sheet as the pita will crisp up better. Direct contact with the hot pan will give more color to your chips.
Variations for the Toppings
There are many ideas for toppings:
- Spicy - add red pepper flakes to spice it up
- Cinnamon sugar - This will add a churro-type flavor and makes it delicious to serve with sweet dips
- Pumpkin Spice - add your favorite pumpkin spice flavoring which will be nice in the fall
- Kosher Salt - keep it simple by just using kosher salt or sea salt flakes
- Ras El Hanout
- Oregano and Parsley - for a more Italian vibe.
- Za'atar seasoning - is my personal favorite! See below for a homemade version of Za'atar or purchase the seasoning here.
How to Make Homemade Za'atar Seasoning
Za'atar is a savory Middle Eastern seasoning that combines herbs, sesame seeds, sumac, and salt. It is a unique combination and incredibly versatile in the kitchen. I love using it in marinades and on fish. It is loaded with flavor and has a unique taste.
While I typically purchase Za'atar in middle eastern grocery stores, you can make this at home fairly easily.
Is Za'atar gluten-free? Yes, za'atar is gluten-free and can be used on alternate diets.
Ingredients in Za'atar:
- Dried Wild French Thyme - this is the gold standard and it adds a more robust flavor than regular thyme, however, you can substitute regular thyme.
- Dried Oregano
- Toasted Sesame Seeds
Once the pita chips have been cooked and they have cooled, store them for a few days in an airtight container. They should stay crisp for 2-3 days and can be made in advance.
The pictures I am showing above are made using a pita that I purchased at a farmer's market from a middle eastern purveyor that also makes wonderful spreads. The pita, however, is more "bready" than a store-bought pita since it was freshly made that day. Store-bought pita tends to be thinner and will crisp up better than homemade pita. If you wish to make your own pita this recipe is terrific.
While pita chips can be eaten as a snack, they are wonderfully paired with dips and spreads. I like serving them with hummus or my eggplant dip. I have used them for a cheese board and served them alongside fruit.
Yes, you can make pita chips in the air fryer if you wish. Here is a simple recipe.
Yes, you can make these gluten-free. Simply use a gluten-free pita like this one.
While pita is typically high in carbs, homemade pita chips will be healthier than store-bought chips. Most store-bought chips will use an oil other than olive oil and contain preservatives and other non-essential ingredients. Homemade pita chips also taste way better!
Looking for other recipes like this? Try these:
These are my favorite dishes to serve with [this recipe]:
Simple Homemade Pita Chips Recipe
- 3 loaves pita bread needs to be able to split in half
- 2 tablespoon olive oil extra virgin
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon za'atar or other toppings
- Slice the pita bread in half.
- Lay the pita on a sheet pan with the cut side up.
- Brush both sides of the pita bread with olive oil.
- Cut the pita bread into 4 pieces or triangles of any size.
- Top the pita with salt and za'atar seasoning or any other seasoning of choice.
- Store in a tightly lidded container on the counter for up to three days.