This Easy Chicken Meatball Parmesan Casserole Recipe is a simple, tasty weeknight dinner recipe that is a cheesy easy comfort food to make. This is a great meal prep simple recipe that works as well for dinner or as an appetizer on game day.
Tender seasoned chicken meatballs with a hint of cheesy comfort. These meatballs whip up in about 30 minutes and, with only 8 ingredients, make them perfect for busy nights!
Meatballs are a great way to use up the ground chicken in the freezer and can be used in so many ways. Perfect served on top of pasta for a full meal or with toothpicks as a party appetizer. With meatballs, you can’t go wrong.
These chicken parmesan meatballs are made with mozzarella cheese and grated parmesan to bring the perfect amount of savory, comforting flavor in each delicious bite that will become a family favorite.
- Ingredients For Chicken Meatball Parmesan
- How To Make Chicken Parmesan Meatballs
- Substitutions and Variations For Gluten Free Chicken Meatballs
- How To Store This Chicken Meatball Recipe
- Expert Tips For this Meatball Parmesan Casserole Recipe
- What To Serve With Chicken Meatballs
- Frequently Asked Questions About Ground Chicken Meatballs
- Chicken Parmesan Meatballs
Ingredients For Chicken Meatball Parmesan
- Ground chicken
- Grated parmesan cheese
- Garlic salt
- Italian seasoning
- Onion powder
- Mozzarella cheese
- Marinara sauce
See the recipe card for quantities.
How To Make Chicken Parmesan Meatballs
Combine the chicken, parmesan, and spices in a large mixing bowl.
Add in half the mozzarella, and 3 tablespoons of marinara sauce and mix well.
Form the batter into meatballs by rolling them with your hands.
Place them in a single layer in a greased baking dish and cook for 25 minutes.
Once cooked, spread the remaining marinara sauce on top along with the mozzarella cheese.
Broil briefly until the cheese is melted and starts to turn golden brown.
Hint: Use a quick-release ice cream scoop to make your meatballs more uniform so that they bake evenly. I get 15-18 chicken meatballs depending on their size.
Substitutions and Variations For Gluten Free Chicken Meatballs
- Cheese - mozzarella is a classic cheese for chicken meatballs. You can instead top the meatballs with an Italian shredded blend to switch up the flavor. You can also use reduced-fat cheese if you prefer.
- Ground meat - though the recipe calls for ground chicken, you can easily substitute any type of ground meat in this recipe. This is just as good with turkey meatballs ground pork, or lean ground beef meatballs.
- Spice them up - add in some crushed red pepper flakes to give the meatballs a dose of fiery flavor.
- Topping - throw some chopped fresh basil or fresh parsley on top for an added fresh taste twist.
How To Store This Chicken Meatball Recipe
Chicken parmesan meatballs are an easy recipe because they can be made in advance, frozen, and used for meal prep or a freezer meal waiting to be thawed and eaten.
How to meal prep them: you can meal prep these chicken meatballs by either making the meatballs and storing them in the refrigerator or freezer unbaked or you can bake them fully and simply reheat the frozen meatballs when you need them. I like to store them uncooked and I keep them in a freezer bag, which allows me to take out a few at a time when needed.
For both options, make sure to store them in an airtight container.
In the refrigerator, the chicken meatballs will stay fresh for 3-4 days once cooked (and 1-2 days if storing them uncooked).
If stored in the freezer, the meatballs will last upwards of 3 months if stored in a sealed container. Place them in the refrigerator to thaw overnight when you’re ready for them.
To reheat them, place them in the oven and bake at 300℉ until heated through. Top them with additional sauce and cheese as desired.
Expert Tips For this Meatball Parmesan Casserole Recipe
I like to top these chicken meatballs with more cheese than the recipe calls for. So, adjust as preferred.
For the garlic, you can use fresh garlic (about 2 cloves) and combine it with ¼ teaspoon salt to get the same flavor as store-bought garlic salt. Likewise, 1 tablespoon of powdered garlic with salt works too.
What To Serve With Chicken Meatballs
These chicken meatballs are delicious enough to serve as a game-day appetizer with some toothpicks. To do this, bake them and then transfer them to a slow cooker to stay warm. Make sure that there is lots of sauce so that they don’t dry out.
If you are making them for an easy meal, serve them with any of the following:
- Your favorite pasta
- Cooked spaghetti squash
- Zucchini noodles
- Cauliflower rice
- As a delicious meatball sub sandwich
- With a side of rice, green beans, or steamed vegetables
- With a side salad and some nice garlic bread
Frequently Asked Questions About Ground Chicken Meatballs
Though you want your meatballs to hold together, make sure not to pack them too tightly when portioning them. Squishing them while making them can make meatballs have a tough texture.
Chicken parmesan meatballs can be made in advance and stored raw in the refrigerator for 1-2 days until you’re ready to bake them or they can be cooked fully and then stored and reheated. This is why they are such a great meal prep recipe for busy days.
The next time you are looking at easy dinner recipes, keep this chicken parmesan meatball casserole in mind. With two different kinds of cheese, a store-bought spaghetti sauce, and homemade meatballs, the whole family will be excited to eat this hearty meal.
Lastly, if you make this recipe be sure to leave a comment and/or give this recipe a rating. Above all, I love to hear from you and always do my best to respond to each and every comment. If you do make this recipe, don’t forget to tag me on Instagram. I really enjoy looking through the photos of recipes you all have made!
Looking for other recipes like this? Try these:
These are my favorite dishes to serve with these meatballs:
Chicken Parmesan Meatballs
- 1 lb ground chicken
- ¼ cup parmesan cheese grated or shredded
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- ½ teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- ¼ teaspoon onion powder
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese shredded
- ¾ cup marinara sauce
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Lightly spray a 9x13 baking dish with cooking spray.
- Combine ground chicken, parmesan cheese, and spices.
- Add half of the mozzarella cheese and 3 tablespoons of the marinara to the ground chicken.
- Form this into meatballs creating anywhere from 14-18.
- Place the meatballs onto the prepared baking dish. Cover with the remaining marinara sauce.
- Bake for 25 minutes.
- Sprinkle with remaining cheese and broil until melted.
- Okay, I am a cheese fanatic. So, I also like to add more mozzarella on top along with the parmesan at the end. I also use full fat cheese and not reduced fat. It's up to you.
- I've also been known to not deal with broiling at the end and just putting all the cheese on while baking but you didn't hear that from me, lol.
- If you want to replace the Italian seasoning blend you can use the following:
- pinch of thyme, rosemary, basil, oregano, and or coriander.
- I love a lot of sauce and sometimes add more to the baking dish!