This is one of the easiest side dishes to prepare and whips up in a matter of a few minutes. It is The Best Mushroom, Cauliflower, and Garlic Skillet Recipe and it will complement just about any protein that you match it with on top of being insanely delicious!
Because it has minimal ingredients, which I have on hand all the time, and preps in no time, this skillet is also the perfect base should you wish to add chicken or meat allowing you to create a one-pot meal.
This recipe originally came about after one of my weekly excursions to the best farmer's market near where I live. I am a farmer's market junkie and go every Saturday like clockwork. The market I visit carries an abundance of organic produce as well as restaurants and small-batch food producers like an amazing soup stand where we buy pints weekly to have at home!
Ingredients for the best mushroom, garlic, and cauliflower skillet:
- Butter (or you can use olive oil or ghee)
- Olive Oil
- Stock (vegetable or chicken)
- Salt and pepper
As I mentioned above, this side dish is so easy to prepare and it comes together fast enough that you won't be waiting for it to be done. If you feel you need to amp up the flavor in this dish you can add a squeeze of lemon at the end or a splash of balsamic. I am omitting it here and giving you the basics.
How to prepare the best mushroom, cauliflower, and garlic skillet:
- Cook the onions until soft
- Add the mushrooms and cook until brown on all sides
- Add the cauliflower and cook until golden
- Pour in the stock and cook to reduce the sauce
- Add the thyme, parsley, and garlic.
- Cook for another minute
The Best Mushroom, Cauliflower, and Garlic Skillet
- 4 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ onion chopped
- ½ head cauliflower cut into florets
- 1 lb mushrooms cleaned
- 2 tablespoon low sodium vegetable stock
- 1 t fresh thyme leaves chopped
- 2 tablespoon fresh parsley chopped
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- salt and pepper
- Heat the butter and oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Saute the onion until softened (about 3 minutes).
- Add the mushrooms and cook until they render all of the moisture and have browned on all sides (about 5 minutes)
- Add the cauliflower florets. Cook until golden and crispy on the edges. This takes about 8-10 minutes and must be well browned.
- Pour in the vegetable stock and cook for 2 minutes until the sauce is reduced.
- Add thyme, 1 tablespoon of parsley, and garlic. Cook the mushrooms and cauliflower for a minute until fragrant.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste. Sprinkle with the remaining parsley and serve.
- Butter - I will use ghee, which is clarified butter or at times I use all oil in this recipe. Butter will help to brown the veggies faster but I am always looking for healthy ways to cook.
- Cauliflower - I will use the whole head cut into florets. It doesn't change the end taste and just gives me a bit more veggies.
- Stock - I have used chicken stock, chicken or vegetable base, and bone broth in this recipe. Using a low sodium variety is best but feel free to sub as you would like.
- Finishing this off - I sometimes feel that I need to liven the end product. I have added a splash of lemon juice or balsamic vinegar prior to serving on those nights where my main ingredient doesn't need a huge "savory" flavor that you get from this dish.