Our family has always loved lamb. Lamb chops, leg of lamb, lamb roasts, etc. You name it! Through the years we have served lamb in various formats but I was drawn to this version of a Lamb Burger with Zucchini and Onions years ago. Why? It added vegetables into our diet without the taste. Our boys had no idea that the burger they loved included zucchini and onions in the patty! Hiding nutrients without the negativity from them was a hit!
I first saw this recipe online from Skinnytaste. I was trying to lose weight and it seemed natural to take out some meat and replace it with veggies. Lower the calories and increase the taste! Perfect! I have played around with the recipe for a few years and this is what I keep returning to each time.
I accompanied the burger with a terrific Tzatziki Sauce. It's easy and flavorful to make and adds a wonderful mouth feel on the burger. The tang of the yogurt lends to the taste of the lamb. A marriage made in heaven. I used a brioche bun but feel free to omit the bun if you are watching gluten or calories.
- omit the bun to make this gluten-free
- serve it alongside a salad for a complete dinner
- toast the bun for an added crunch
- my husband adds potato chips onto his burger but doesn't tell anyone, lol
Ingredients for the burger:
- 1 lb gound lamb
- ½ whole onion chopped in small pieces, about a ½ C
- ½ whole medium zucchini peeled and grated, about a ½ C
- 1 ½ t garlic powder
- 2 t dried oregano
- S & P to taste
- Brioche Hamburger Bun
- Tzaziki Sauce
- In a bowl, combine the lamb, grated zucchini, chopped onion, and spices. Combine and divide into 4 patties. Grill the patties or saute' them in a pan with some olive oil until completely done. Place them on a bun and add the Tzatziki Sauce, tomato, and lettuce.
Leave a Reply